Sunday, September 6, 2015

Birchbox Review August 2015

Since I was so in love with Ipsy I decided I wanted to try other subscription services.  Birchbox is the same price as Ipsy ($10 a month).  I was disappointed to find out that while Ipsy frequently sends out full-sized products, Birchbox only sends samples.  However, Birchbox has an incredibe rewards program:  you earn points the same way you do with Ipsy, by referring others or reviewing products.  But with Ipsy it takes several months or referrals to earn enough points for a reward, and the rewards are a handful of products selected by Ipsy, Birchbox points translate directly into credit in their online store, for any product they sell.   If you share your $10 box each month and review all five products sampled, that gives you $6 store credit (you can only use it in $10 increments, but still).  



Without further ado, here's my first box:



Yes, that's the actual box (Note:  other photos in this blog are from the Birchbox website, mostly because I'm not that great at photography).  And that's my actual hand, which would be waving hello to you if it weren't holding the large-index-card-sized box of minuscule samples.   To say I was disappointed is a bit of an understatement--maybe Ipsy has spoiled me, but I expected deluxe samples or full sized products, but three of these are teeny-tiny!  It was a real let down, I put away my disappointment to review the products.   You're welcome.

Dr. Brandt Pores No More Cleanser  (0.25 fl oz)  $3



This is a small sample, good for no more than 2-3 very sparing uses.  Still, I was excited by the idea of a pore-shrinking cleanser.   I feel like my pores are huge, so I had high hopes.   They were dashed the minute I started massaging the product into my skin--the smell is SO medicinal.   I did not notice any pore shrinkage after using, but I did notice that my skin felt uncomfortably tight and dry.  I'll keep this around for a bit and try it again if my skin feels particularly oily, but my first impression of this product is No.




Coola Mineral Sunscreen Matte Tint, Unscented (.17 fl oz)  $2.40
I actually liked this product.   I have tried a few 'tinted' sunscreens lately and they all left my face so shiny that I had to powder over it.  Since my reason for using a tinted sunscreen was so that I didn't have to put on foundation and powder, it defeated the purpose.   This sunscreen went on easily and did not leave my face shiny.  However, it did feel a little gritty putting it on.   I may pick up a full-sized version of this one--I don't feel like the sample is really large enough to let me get a good sense of the product, though the two times I used it (before running out :( ) I liked the results.  I think this product is a Yes, but due to the small sample size I'm going to have to keep it at Maybe for now.


Benefit Watts Up! Cream-to-Powder Highlighter (0.08 oz)   $8
I wasn't sure about this one but a friend (Hi Barbie!) says it's one of her favorite products.   I have to admit it's a great product--good coverage, good pigmentation, lasts well.  And a highlighter is one of those things that I always stole from my theatre makeup kit because the closest you could find to it on the retail market was a concealer.   The tiny packaging makes this hard to use in my opinion (it's a twist-up tube with the product smaller than a lip balm) but I can use a brush or my fingers to apply.   The product itself is a high quality one, and I'll probably purchase a full size when this one runs out.  This is a Yes.


Marcelle Mini Waterproof Eyeliner in Mulberry ('travel' size)  $4

The first time I tried this, I hated it.  The color just added to my already-dark eyes to make them even darker.   After a few weeks of using my new favorite eye creme (more on that here), it's one of my go-to liners.   The purple hue looks like a faded black on my eyes, which is great for day time.   If I put on a few layers, it builds up and really pops.   The formula itself glides on smoothly, almost like a liquid, and it has great staying power.  The 'sample' is a single travel sized pencil, but to be honest I tend to throw out eye pencils before they're half-used so travel size is probably a good size for me.  This is a Yes.

Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk--Natural Tint (50 mL) $9

I have never used a dry shampoo before, always afraid of residue.  The first time I used this one, I made my son my guinea pig :D   He has super thick hair that he is determined to keep just below his ears, but he's not yet great at rinsing his hair after washing, often leaving his hair looking oily.   A quick spritz of this made his hair look great.   Seeing his results gave me the courage to try it myself, and it really was an easy way to pick up a flat hairstyle.   I expect this product to become a staple at our house.  This is a resounding YES.


The total value of my $10 box was about $26.40.   It's not terrible, but I do feel like Ipsy is the better value.  However, I gained $6 in points for reviewing/sharing my box, plus I got some bonus points when I signed up.   I traded them in on a Prestige Headliners Beauty Collection box.  I also bought (2) Mass Appeal Boxes.   Those reviews will be coming soon!!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment